17 U.S. Code § 107 - Limitations on exclusive rights: Fair use
Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include—
(1) the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes [all mirrored content falls under this clause, any ads present are mirrored from the original site, mirrored content earns me no revenue whatsoever];
(2) the nature of the copyrighted work [this is a unique resource for the mentally ill, and preservation of it can be argued to be incredibly important];
(3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and
(4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work. [absolutely none whatsoever, as the original work no longer exists anywhere else (outside of whatever bits and pieces archive.org managed to capture) - the original site was intermittantly completely unavailable for a extended period of time before its SSL certificate expired (and was never renewed), and eventually the site went offline for good, then finally the DNS records were removed at some point prior to May 2018, so at this point it is well beyond the 'dead and rotting' stage]
The fact that a work is unpublished shall not itself bar a finding of fair use if such finding is made upon consideration of all the above factors.

This domain is not controlled by Jerod Poore, and I will NOT continue redirecting traffic from this domain to crazymeds.us [as I formerly did] while Jerod continues with his immature temper tantrum over adblock or continues to fail to maintain his site, fucking over his entire community and countless visitors in the process. [belated clarification: with specific regards to the adblock drama I was referring to Poore at one point replacing his entire site with a single page complaining about the amount of revenue lost to users with ad blocking active, which is something that I took extreme exception to because this affected ALL visitors to the site regardless of if or if not they were actually using ad blocking]
This mirror is unfortunately incomplete (and very slightly outdated), as /CrazyTalk/ was not included when I scraped the site (it was far too large to scrape given the site's extremely poor performance, my wish to avoid worsening the poor performance further, and other factors). If you're looking for a replacement forum, I suggest visiting https://www.crazyboards.org/forums/. There are issues with many of the mirrored pages, I am working on identifying and fixing them, but I do not have the time to address every single issue at this moment (although by now the majority of these issues have been resolved). Dynamic content is obviously completely broken (this is beyond my control), and the loss of /CrazyTalk/ is quite bad given how much good user-generated info was on there, but you have Jerod to "thank" for that. Maybe I'll bring it back online at some point, but it wouldn't be the same as before. For now, I suggest visiting CrazyBoards instead.
Note (Oct 9 2018): Infrequent additional updates regarding the status of this site will be posted on https://info.crazymeds.net

Click here to find a mentally interesting date at No Longer Lonely Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud

Photo

Keep Crazymeds Financially Solvent

• Please log in to reply
196 replies to this topic

#1 Jerod Poore

Jerod Poore

Administrator

• Chief Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar NOS, PME 1, Autism, Agoraphobia/Social Anxiety
  • Current Meds:LTG 200mg, TPM 400mg, protriptyline 50mg, buspirone 60mg, EPA 600

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:50 PM

You may have noticed the beg button is back.  Here's the reason why.  Since October Crazy Meds hasn't been making enough money to pay for itself.  This is mainly due to the latest change in Google's search algorithm.  Prior to that when someone entered a medication name like Wellbutrin or Lamictal the page for the drug wiki was almost always in positions 4 through 7 of the top ten results.  Now it's positions 7 through it doesn't matter, because if you're not in the top 10 you don't exist.

Even though I'm managing to get many of the pages back on the first page of results, it's becoming a moot point.  The increased use of ad-blocking software has resulted in only one person in 225 clicking on an ad, when it used to be 2 - 3 out of 100.  Getting 10,000 people a day, which is what we're seeing now, used to be more than enough to pay for everything.  Now we need to be back to the pre-Panda (or whatever Google called the latest algorithm change) traffic of 20K - 25K people a day.  Another reason why the cash isn't raining down like it used to is the sudden failure of ads on mobile devices.  Crazy Meds can be an ad-free site on some phones if you never look at the navigation bar.  I tried to get help from Google with that but they didn't seem to care.  I gave up after the third request for a screen print.  From a phone.  I would have taken a picture of it, but he wanted to see what it was supposed to look like as well.  The forum is ad-free for some mobile devices as well, but it's always been like that.

Which brings us to the beg button.  Unless things turn around significantly and very quickly, the forum goes away some time around the end of April through mid-May.  We're in that really fucked up position of getting enough traffic to require a dedicated, or just a virtually private, server, but not getting enough traffic to pay for it.  Without the forum I could probably keep the wiki side of things going for at least another year.

As of right now it's looking like I'll be $3K-4K short to pay for the horsepower required to keep everything on the air.

Expect to see more non-ad-blockable ads as well.

Jerod Poore - Owner, Founder and Chief Citizen Medical Expert of crazymeds.net
I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. No doctor, nurse, pharmacist or lawyer was harmed in the creation of this post. No warranty is expressed or implied. Not valid with any other offer. Void where prohibited.

Current meds: lamotrigine 200mg, topiramate 400mg, buspirone 60mg, protriptyline 60mg, EPA 600mg, lorazepam 1mg PRN
Past meds (likely incomplete): Abilify, clonazepam, desipramine, diazepam, Gabitril, lithium, methylphenidate, Neurontin, Paxil, prochlorperazine, Provigil, Prozac, Risperdal, Seroquel, Serzone, Strattera, Trileptal, Zyprexa

#2 PlatypusBear

PlatypusBear

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar II, Generalized Anxiety Disorder
  • Current Meds:See Signature

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:55 PM

Would it help if we started just clicking on the ads?

Current meds: Lamotrigine 225 mg, buspirone 37.5 mg, cyclobenzaprine 5 mg, zolpidem 5-10 mg PRN, methocarbamol 500 mg PRN, fish oil (1200 mg EPA and 600 mg DHA), low dose methylphenidate PRN, low dose Saphris PRN

Past meds: Bupropion XL 150 mg, fluoxetine 40 mg, birth control pills, n-acetlycysteine 1000 mg b.i.d.

#3 obsidian3

obsidian3

Would-be Neurologist

• Enabler
  • 1,471 posts
  • Diagnoses:GAD : MDD : OCD : Chronic Migraine : Autoimmune cluster : Deeply dyslexic!
  • Current Meds:Amitriptyline : Quetiapine : Lithium : Propranolol : Ergotamine : Prednisone

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:48 PM

Already Clicking  ...

Current meds : 100mg Amitriptyline : 200mg Quetiapine :1200mg Lithium  : 80mg Propranolol :  Methotrexate :
                         Prednisolone 5-50mg prn : Ergometrine prn : Clorphenamine 12 mg prn : Baclofen 25 mg

Rx that has worked in the past :        ECT x 16 once only 1966, plus several x 3 'top-ups'  : Parnate : Na Valproate : Propranolol : Venlafaxine : Diazepam : various Opioids : Olanzapine : Haloperidol.                    

I forget a couple but Hey it's been a long, long time.                                                          
                          No long list of messy failures  ...  Sheer luck I guess !

#4 msanjelpie

msanjelpie

DIY Trepanist

• Enabler
  • 44 posts
  • Diagnoses:Bipolar 1, Asperger's, Anxiety
  • Current Meds:Lamictal, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Klonopin, Buspar, Valium, Ambien

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:26 PM

I always click on them when I come to the site.  They just open up in a new browser anyway and I just ignore them.

Jerod - Have you ever thought of implementing a 'Supporting Member' program?  I belong to several forums and informational sites that I know are run by ma and pa folks and I always become a member because I figure it's the least I can do to keep the site up and running.  Besides then I get a cute star next to my name.   :grin:

Asperger Syndrome was in the DSM like Pluto was a planet

Current meds:  Lamictal 100mg x 2, Wellbutrin SR 150mg, Zoloft 50mg,  Buspar 15mg x 4, Klonopin 1mg, Valium 10mg, Ambien 10mg
Past meds:   Prozac, Lexapro, Ativan, Lunesta, Abilify, Zyprexa, Depakote, Cymbalta, Viibryd

Current Non-psych: Synthroid .088mcg, Terbinafine 250mg, Naproxen Sodium 220mg x 2, Vitamin D3 10,000iu

Rapid-cycling Bipolar Disorder, mild Asperger's, mild OCD, mild Anxiety.  Suicidal and homicidal when not medicated.

#5 Retriever

Retriever

Would-be Neurologist

• Enabler
  • 580 posts
  • Diagnoses:Schizooaffective Disorder; Bipolar Type, MDD
  • Current Meds:Paroxetine IR, Inderal, Depakote, Topamax, Zyprexa, Clonazepam

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:11 AM

I think the idea of having the option of becoming a supporting member is a good one.  I would support that and be one of the first to sign up.  It could be a yearly thing where you pay once a year and get the right to have a larger avatar or something.  It might also be nice to ad a "thanks" link to display those who have contributed by their screen name.  It is always nice to be recognised.   Just a thought.

Edited by CrazyDog, 06 February 2014 - 01:17 AM.

"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" ~ Albert Einstein

Retriever5-1.jpg

#6 msanjelpie

msanjelpie

DIY Trepanist

• Enabler
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:36 AM

I would be willing to do like $15 for 6 months and $25 for a year, something like that...  There are a lot of long time users on this site who I'm sure would love the chance to show their support for all of the years of hard work that has gone into this site.  Besides when members see that other members are supporting members, it makes them want to be supporting members too. Good old herd mentality.  Something like this:

member.jpg

Current meds:  Lamictal 100mg x 2, Wellbutrin SR 150mg, Zoloft 50mg,  Buspar 15mg x 4, Klonopin 1mg, Valium 10mg, Ambien 10mg
Past meds:   Prozac, Lexapro, Ativan, Lunesta, Abilify, Zyprexa, Depakote, Cymbalta, Viibryd

Current Non-psych: Synthroid .088mcg, Terbinafine 250mg, Naproxen Sodium 220mg x 2, Vitamin D3 10,000iu

Rapid-cycling Bipolar Disorder, mild Asperger's, mild OCD, mild Anxiety.  Suicidal and homicidal when not medicated.

#7 kennedyhancock

kennedyhancock

DIY Trepanist

• Enabler
  • 42 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD, Panic Attacks, GAD, ADD, Temporal Lobe Epilepsy, Migraines,
  • Current Meds:Adderall XR, Adderall IR, Topamax, Clonazepam, Inderal

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:40 AM

I would do the supporting member thing or anything else that might work. Whatever it takes. I can't imagine being without CM. I already have a closet full of CM T-shirts and a different CM coffee mug for each day of the week. I don't suppose my friends, family and co-workers get that I am a die-hard fan of CM. Not one of them, has yet to ask the obvious....I don't know why....heh! ;-) In all seriousness, whatever it takes to keep this place up. If I could donate the entire amount needed I would....yeah, that is how awesome the entire CM site is and all the work that JP puts into it. Unfortunately, I am just another working stiff but I would willingly divert other interests that I fund to keep this site up.
Current RX: AdderallXR 30mgx1 A.M. Adderall  30x1 P.M.  Clonazepam 1mgx2  PRN, Propranolol 10mgx3 PRN  Butalbutal-APAP-CAF 50-325-40mg Topiramate 100 mg.
Other: Simvastatin 40mg, Benazapril HTCZ,12.5 mg low dose aspirin.Omega 3s: EPA 300mg,DHA 200mg, Fish Oil 1060mg. Multi Vitamin w/ Vitamin K, Metafolin.

Past Rx: Dilantin(Steven Johnson's Syndrome -the rash?= almost fatal), Mysoline, Tegretol, Paxil(10 years and pooped), Wellbutrin, Lexapro, Celexa, Symbrax, Seroquel, Xanax. Pristiq( hated it,worst withdrawal syndrome ever) Prozac don't think it was doing much anymore.

Some of my panic attacks are symptomatic of having Mitral Valve Prolapse, take propranolol and prophylaxis antibiotics when I have dental work for the MVP. Fear of having a seizure, especially in public, GAD and social phobias respond well to clonazepam. Still have lots of bad depressive days but manage them enough now that my ADD is being treated as well. My current meds seem to be just what I need.

#8 kennedyhancock

kennedyhancock

DIY Trepanist

• Enabler
  • 42 posts
  • Diagnoses:MDD, Panic Attacks, GAD, ADD, Temporal Lobe Epilepsy, Migraines,
  • Current Meds:Adderall XR, Adderall IR, Topamax, Clonazepam, Inderal

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:42 AM

I would be willing to do like $15 for 6 months and $25 for a year, something like that...  There are a lot of long time users on this site who I'm sure would love the chance to show their support for all of the years of hard work that has gone into this site.  Besides when members see that other members are supporting members, it makes them want to be supporting members too. Good old herd mentality.  Something like this:

member.jpg

That's true, it makes one feel like they are more involved. Sweet graphic!!!
Current RX: AdderallXR 30mgx1 A.M. Adderall  30x1 P.M.  Clonazepam 1mgx2  PRN, Propranolol 10mgx3 PRN  Butalbutal-APAP-CAF 50-325-40mg Topiramate 100 mg.
Other: Simvastatin 40mg, Benazapril HTCZ,12.5 mg low dose aspirin.Omega 3s: EPA 300mg,DHA 200mg, Fish Oil 1060mg. Multi Vitamin w/ Vitamin K, Metafolin.

Past Rx: Dilantin(Steven Johnson's Syndrome -the rash?= almost fatal), Mysoline, Tegretol, Paxil(10 years and pooped), Wellbutrin, Lexapro, Celexa, Symbrax, Seroquel, Xanax. Pristiq( hated it,worst withdrawal syndrome ever) Prozac don't think it was doing much anymore.

Some of my panic attacks are symptomatic of having Mitral Valve Prolapse, take propranolol and prophylaxis antibiotics when I have dental work for the MVP. Fear of having a seizure, especially in public, GAD and social phobias respond well to clonazepam. Still have lots of bad depressive days but manage them enough now that my ADD is being treated as well. My current meds seem to be just what I need.

#9 Scooby Snacks

Scooby Snacks

DIY Trepanist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Diagnoses:BP II, Epilepsy, Migraines
  • Current Meds:Cambia, Topamax, Trileptal, Lamotrigine, Seroquel, Rizatriptan

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:50 PM

I wouldn't mind being a supporting member either. I might just be a newbie, but I already feel like I belong (Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Could go either way.) Off topic Jerod, I lived in Great Falls, MT years ago. I still miss it. Texas isn't the same. 

I used to care, but now I take a pill for that. 

#10 Jerod Poore

Jerod Poore

Administrator

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts
  • Current Meds:LTG 200mg, TPM 400mg, protriptyline 50mg, buspirone 60mg, EPA 600

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:53 PM

Would it help if we started just clicking on the ads?

I can't answer that question without getting into trouble with Google.

Already Clicking  ...

Fun fact: too many clicks (defined as I don't know how many) from the same IP address within some unknown (to me) period of time invalidate all of them.

I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. No doctor, nurse, pharmacist or lawyer was harmed in the creation of this post. No warranty is expressed or implied. Not valid with any other offer. Void where prohibited.

Current meds: lamotrigine 200mg, topiramate 400mg, buspirone 60mg, protriptyline 60mg, EPA 600mg, lorazepam 1mg PRN
Past meds (likely incomplete): Abilify, clonazepam, desipramine, diazepam, Gabitril, lithium, methylphenidate, Neurontin, Paxil, prochlorperazine, Provigil, Prozac, Risperdal, Seroquel, Serzone, Strattera, Trileptal, Zyprexa

#11 obsidian3

obsidian3

Would-be Neurologist

• Enabler
  • 1,471 posts
  • Diagnoses:GAD : MDD : OCD : Chronic Migraine : Autoimmune cluster : Deeply dyslexic!
  • Current Meds:Amitriptyline : Quetiapine : Lithium : Propranolol : Ergotamine : Prednisone

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:06 PM

Promise to be moderate and disciplined then   ....

Current meds : 100mg Amitriptyline : 200mg Quetiapine :1200mg Lithium  : 80mg Propranolol :  Methotrexate :
                         Prednisolone 5-50mg prn : Ergometrine prn : Clorphenamine 12 mg prn : Baclofen 25 mg

Rx that has worked in the past :        ECT x 16 once only 1966, plus several x 3 'top-ups'  : Parnate : Na Valproate : Propranolol : Venlafaxine : Diazepam : various Opioids : Olanzapine : Haloperidol.                    

#12 Jerod Poore

Jerod Poore

Administrator

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:41 PM

Jerod - Have you ever thought of implementing a 'Supporting Member' program?

That is fucking brilliant.

I would be willing to do like $15 for 6 months and $25 for a year, something like that...  There are a lot of long time users on this site who I'm sure would love the chance to show their support for all of the years of hard work that has gone into this site.  Besides when members see that other members are supporting members, it makes them want to be supporting members too. Good old herd mentality.

I think the idea of having the option of becoming a supporting member is a good one.  I would support that and be one of the first to sign up.  It could be a yearly thing where you pay once a year and get the right to have a larger avatar or something.  It might also be nice to ad a "thanks" link to display those who have contributed by their screen name.  It is always nice to be recognised.   Just a thought.

As long as there's a member name on the PayPal donation, the e-mail address used is the same on both, or if cash, etc., is sent to the PO box there's some way to identify the donor, that would be easy enough. I'll look through the system settings to see what sort of things Supporting Members can get.

I may as well double down on the public radio feel by offering Team Crazymeds items to donors. Retroactively to anyone who has already donated, of course. These will be available only to supporting members. I just yanked the Team Crazymeds bumpersticker from the CafePress store. I can throw together some mugs, shirts, buttons & magnets. The more you donate the better the gift. I'll fuck around with the donate button and see what I can do. If that is a total pain in the ass I'd still figure out a way of sending trinkets from the store to supporting members, but the Team Crazymeds items would be available to anyone willing to pay crazy prices for them.

I already have a closet full of CM T-shirts and a different CM coffee mug for each day of the week.

1. - So you're the one. Thanks.

2. - What, the $60 clocks or $80 tablecloth aren't good enough for you?

#13 GetOffMyLawn

GetOffMyLawn

Would-be Neurologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Diagnoses:Rapid-Cycle BP2 with Borderline features; PTSD
  • Current Meds:LTG 300mg, BPR XL 450mg, TPM 300mg, CTP 40mg, RIS .5mg PRN, LT 100mcg, QTP 25mg PRN

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:49 PM

I wouldn't have to have any tchotchkes, but it'd be great if CM were a 501 ( c ) outfit.

Easy for me to tell you to do all the paperwork and blah blah, but it makes all the contributions tax-deductible, and you can't get nailed in an IRS audit for not filing income taxes on the money people contribute to keep the site running.

Edited by GetOffMyLawn, 06 February 2014 - 08:49 PM.

Current Meds: Lamotrigine 300mg, Buproprion XL 450mg, Topiramate 300mg, Citalopram 40mg, Risperidone .5mg PRN, Levothyroxine 100 mcg, Quetiapine 25mg PRN
Past Meds: Paroxetine, Escitalopram, Sertraline
Current Non-Psych: Lovastatin, Baby Aspirin

Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day
Til the last syllable of recorded time.
And all our yesterdays light fools the way to dusty death.
Out, out, brief candle!
Life is but a walking shadow,
A poor player who struts and frets his hour upon the stage
Then is heard no more.
It is a tale told by an idiot,
Full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

#14 Her

Her

Would-be Neurologist

• Enabler
  • 757 posts
  • Diagnoses:bipolar l, migraines, Autism spectrum
  • Current Meds:Seroquel (XR and IR), topiramate, lamotrigine, Ambien CR, Cymbalta

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:19 PM

I'd join as a "sustaining member," which is what the local public radio station calls people whose donations come straight from their bank accounts monthly. And I too think you should look into 501 © status.

And I will give the beg button a hearty slap as soon as the polyurethane on the kitchen and hallway floors dries and I can get into the office again.
Bipolar one, sports fans. Autism spectrum. With just un soupçon of migraine.

Give us this day our daily meds: 150 lamotrigine, 75 topiramate, 50 Seroquel XR, 100 Seroquel IR, 12.5 Ambien CR, 60 mgs Cymbalta, 5 mgs Abilify

4000 i.u. Vit. D3, Etodolac 400 mgs 2x/daily and Votaren Gel 2 grams 2x/daily for joint pain NOS, Flonase nasal spray 2x/per nostril 2x daily PRN

Cyclobenzaprine and Midrin PRN

Past, failed attempts: Effexor XR, Celexa, amitriptyline, Depakote, escitalopram, Geodon, klonopin, ativan, bupropion, busipirone, lithium, trazadone, Latuda, Lunesta, Rozerem, gabapentine, mirtazapine, Wellbutrin, Temazepam, Sonata.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world: indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. -Margaret Mead

#15 Her

Her

Would-be Neurologist

• Enabler
  • 757 posts
  • Current Meds:Seroquel (XR and IR), topiramate, lamotrigine, Ambien CR, Cymbalta

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:49 PM

Regarding the beg button though: you might want to move it. If you just automatically hit "view new content" when you log on, there's no reason you'd ever see it unless you went looking for it specifically. I learned this updating the website and using Constant Contact at my last job: always make it excruciatingly easy for people to find the link that lets them send you money. In CM's case I would put it up by the search box. Anywhere but discretely buried at the bottom of the page.

Give us this day our daily meds: 150 lamotrigine, 75 topiramate, 50 Seroquel XR, 100 Seroquel IR, 12.5 Ambien CR, 60 mgs Cymbalta, 5 mgs Abilify

4000 i.u. Vit. D3, Etodolac 400 mgs 2x/daily and Votaren Gel 2 grams 2x/daily for joint pain NOS, Flonase nasal spray 2x/per nostril 2x daily PRN

Past, failed attempts: Effexor XR, Celexa, amitriptyline, Depakote, escitalopram, Geodon, klonopin, ativan, bupropion, busipirone, lithium, trazadone, Latuda, Lunesta, Rozerem, gabapentine, mirtazapine, Wellbutrin, Temazepam, Sonata.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world: indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. -Margaret Mead

#16 Jerod Poore

Jerod Poore

Administrator

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:37 PM

I looked into 501( c ) and other non-profit classifications 10 years ago.

No. Fucking. Way.

The paperwork required is exponentially worse than what Social Security wants from people who get SSDI and have a part-time job, and I couldn't even do that.  Let alone being self-employed.  Which still doesn't come close to 501( c ) paperwork.  And I'd need to have two other people with the legal ability to take CM away from me.  It could have been gone in July 2004 when I had my time-out in the psych hospital.  My paranoia and trust issues may not be nearly has bad as they used to be, but there's still no way I'm relinquishing complete control over ownership. 

Edited by Jerod Poore, 08 February 2014 - 12:20 PM.
I didn't realize (c) would be translated to the copyright symbol.

#17 Jerod Poore

Jerod Poore

Administrator

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:48 PM

Regarding the beg button though: you might want to move it. If you just automatically hit "view new content" when you log on, there's no reason you'd ever see it unless you went looking for it specifically.

Thank you! I would not have thought of that.  While you could see it in some circumstances, as it appears after the first post in a topic, you're right that it shows up only on the bottom of the page in most instances of the View New Content option.

In CM's case I would put it up by the search box.

That's definitely the best place for it.

#18 puffball

puffball

DIY Trepanist

• Enabler
  • 0 posts
  • Diagnoses:pathological accommodation
  • Current Meds:the latest batch of samples

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:50 PM

This is how it looks to be an enabler.  Take a look at my profile. 

The icon is temporary.  Maybe. 

There are other goodies as well, such as storage for more PMs and the ability to upload a picture directly into a post.  We're still looking at those.

Everyone got a boost in avatar size.  We could make it a little larger for enablers and CMEs, but not by much.

"You're only as healthy as you feel." - Travis Bickle

#19 msanjelpie

msanjelpie

DIY Trepanist

• Enabler
  • 44 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:27 PM

JP - As for 'membership' situations, PayPal has this button that is different than the Donate button.  

It is the Subscribe button.  You have more control over that one and can set up amounts for different things or date ranges (6 months) etc... and input text that the member can read.  

Once you insert the html for your link on your site you can always change the link button to something less PayPally.  You just change the [input type="image" src="https://crazymeds.net/CrazyTalk/xxxx/xxxx_images/xxxx.png" blah blah] to whatever pic you want.

Also the Subscription button has the option of 'user names' which you can probably have connected to the site user names with some tinkering of the html. - If that doesn't work, in your text you can always request that the member inform the CM site of their site user name before pushing the Agree and Pay button.

On another note - there may be paranoid 'members' that do not want to give out their address and thus would not receive anything.  Which is perfectly fine.  It should be more of a benevolent aspect rather than an expectation.  That way for you there is no pressure involved or money spent on shipping etc...

As for taxes... screw it, it's the internet.  Realm of the unconfined and hermitage of the audacious...

Have you ever written a book btw?  I'd be willing to purchase a Kindle copy of your most prized prose.  (You have a certain way with words that is most eccentric and enjoyable.)

JM

#20 dymphna

dymphna

Ready for the MCAT

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,624 posts
  • Diagnoses:Suck-Ass Epilepsy, Perma-Migraine, Endocrine Hell, Associated Mood Crap
  • Current Meds:LTG 600, TPA 400, CLZ 1.5, Dostinex 0.5, Zoloft 1.5

Posted 08 February 2014 - 12:42 AM

The fora over at WrongPlanet utilize a "pay and you get a cool thingy under your name" bit.  Or you don't have to have one if you're not comfortable with the stigma of having the extra cash to donate.

The guy over there is really nice - you may want to ask him how he set it up...

D

Yes, my name really is Dymphna.

I'm not a doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or therapist.

I can find you an answer and I won't blow smoke up your ass.

St. Dymphna is the Patron for brain maladies.

I'm the Enforcer.

eqnmrt.jpg

In these epistles there are certain things difficult to understand, which the unlearned and the unstable distort,
just as they do the rest of the Scriptures also, to their own destruction.

(II Peter 3:16)

#21 Blue Heron

Blue Heron

Ready for the MCAT

• Enabler
  • 3,836 posts
  • Diagnoses:epilepsy, bipolar 2, GAD, asthma/allergies, Raynaud's, med-sensitive
  • Current Meds:lamotrigine, paroxetine, asthma/allergy meds, med for Raynaud's

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:46 AM

I'd rather not use PayPal. When someone started an account with them using my husband's personal info, they were really uncooperative as we tried to straighten things out.

Diagnoses: epilepsy (well-controlled), bipolar 2, GAD, asthma/allergies, Raynaud's, med-sensitive

Current Crazy Meds: lamotrigine (generic Lamictal), paroxetine

Other Current Medications: asthma/allergy meds (Advair, Nasonex, Singulair, Zyrtec), med for Raynaud's (pentoxifylline)

Previous Crazy Meds: gabapentin (generic Neurontin), citalopram (generic Celexa), BuSpar

Areas of Expertise: Lamictal/lamotrigine questions, drug interactions, finding and evaluating sources of medical information

Please do not send me requests for medical advice via private message. I answer questions only in the forums.

#22 Jerod Poore

Jerod Poore

Administrator

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 01:19 PM

Easy for me to tell you to do all the paperwork and blah blah, but it makes all the contributions tax-deductible, and you can't get nailed in an IRS audit for not filing income taxes on the money people contribute to keep the site running.

I declare everything, including the paltry amounts I get from Amazon and interest earned on my checking account.

The fora over at WrongPlanet utilize a "pay and you get a cool thingy under your name" bit.  Or you don't have to have one if you're not comfortable with the stigma of having the extra cash to donate.

Look up at Puffball's post. See the inverted Wellbutrin - AKA the Crazy Meds browser icon - under the styling green Enabler group? That's just for testing purposes. Probably. I don't want anything too big.

No opinion on having a background photo on the profile page? Storage for more PMs? Enabler? Green?

I'd rather not use PayPal. When someone started an account with them using my husband's personal info, they were really uncooperative as we tried to straighten things out.

I have lots of issues with PayPal myself, but I already have the account set up, I know the software works with the forum and wiki, blah, blah, blah.  Change is bad.

JP - As for 'membership' situations, PayPal has this button that is different than the Donate button.  

It is the Subscribe button.  You have more control over that one and can set up amounts for different things or date ranges (6 months) etc... and input text that the member can read.

I looked at that. It's an option, but one that would require its own button. Most people would want to make a one-time donation of whatever they feel like contributing. When I had the original beg button set up (2004 - 2011?) I got contributions of under $5 all the time, as well as in amounts that weren't multiples of 5. Then there are the donations not in US dollars. While they don't happen often, they are disproportionate to the traffic from outside of the US.

On another note - there may be paranoid 'members' that do not want to give out their address and thus would not receive anything.  Which is perfectly fine.  It should be more of a benevolent aspect rather than an expectation.  That way for you there is no pressure involved or money spent on shipping etc...

I'll be playing around with that on the regular donate button. There's always the option of entering a blatantly fake address along with the instructions for not sending a "premium" instead of which one, shirt size, etc.  I might even be able to load it with a default address, such as my PO Box.

As for taxes... screw it, it's the internet.  Realm of the unconfined and hermitage of the audacious...

That's sales tax. Not needing to pay taxes because it's The Internet was probably part of the disordered thinking I had a few years back that convinced me I didn't need to pay any taxes. That cost me a shitload. Declaring everything back in the 20th century when I had a life and a real job is probably why I got caught. The IRS computers wondered what the hell happened to the guy who declared the $5.77 interest earned on his checking account. Dead? Better look into it.

Have you ever written a book btw?  I'd be willing to purchase a Kindle copy of your most prized prose.  (You have a certain way with words that is most eccentric and enjoyable.)

Thanks. I gave up on the one I'd been trying to write for over 20 years. What's the point of finishing something set in the near future after most of it has happened or is about to happen?

#23 msanjelpie

msanjelpie

DIY Trepanist

• Enabler
  • 44 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 01:20 PM

dymphna - Where do you see a link on WrongPlanet for joining with money?  I can't find it and I don't see anything under anyone's name...

#24 Blue Heron

Blue Heron

Ready for the MCAT

• Enabler
  • 3,836 posts
  • Diagnoses:epilepsy, bipolar 2, GAD, asthma/allergies, Raynaud's, med-sensitive
  • Current Meds:lamotrigine, paroxetine, asthma/allergy meds, med for Raynaud's

Posted 08 February 2014 - 01:54 PM

Could I send you a check instead?

Diagnoses: epilepsy (well-controlled), bipolar 2, GAD, asthma/allergies, Raynaud's, med-sensitive

Current Crazy Meds: lamotrigine (generic Lamictal), paroxetine

Other Current Medications: asthma/allergy meds (Advair, Nasonex, Singulair, Zyrtec), med for Raynaud's (pentoxifylline)

Previous Crazy Meds: gabapentin (generic Neurontin), citalopram (generic Celexa), BuSpar

Areas of Expertise: Lamictal/lamotrigine questions, drug interactions, finding and evaluating sources of medical information

Please do not send me requests for medical advice via private message. I answer questions only in the forums.

#25 Jerod Poore

Jerod Poore

Administrator

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:41 PM

Could I send you a check instead?

Of course.  Sorry to have left that out.

For anyone who wishes to go old school, I accept cash, checks, money orders, bearer bonds, savings bonds, travelers' checks, and most other negotiable instruments that require either no name or where there's only one payee and my name is on it.  No two-party checks or similar items.  I'll take money from countries other than the US, but only because I collect stuff like that, but it can't be used to buy stuff from the CafePress store.  Unless you send me a shitload (at least the equivalent of US$100) of currency that my bank wouldn't mind converting, such as Canadian or Australian dollars, British pounds, or Euros.  Cheques from outside of the US probably wouldn't fly, which is why God invented postal money orders.

Send whatever to:

Jerod Poore

PO Box 271

Saint Regis, MT 59866

Make checks, etc. payable to Jerod Poore.

#26 Jerod Poore

Jerod Poore

Administrator

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:57 PM

I want to thank everyone for their incredibly generous financial and emotional support.  If it weren't for you folks, the way my life has been going lately, I'd be looking for a home for my cats - who are terrified of strangers - asking my kids to tell me which one of them is willing to take this quickly-deteriorating house, and so forth.

As I, and many others, have written many times, teh interwebs brings out the absolute best and utter worst in people.  Leave it to those of us considered by more and more people to be less than human to show the world what the best of humanity looks like.

#27 dymphna

dymphna

Ready for the MCAT

• Citizen Medical Expert
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,624 posts
  • Diagnoses:Suck-Ass Epilepsy, Perma-Migraine, Endocrine Hell, Associated Mood Crap
  • Current Meds:LTG 600, TPA 400, CLZ 1.5, Dostinex 0.5, Zoloft 1.5

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:39 AM

dymphna - Where do you see a link on WrongPlanet for joining with money?  I can't find it and I don't see anything under anyone's name...

You're right - it doesn't appear to be there any longer. Maybe since Alex got the gigs in Hollywood he no longer needs the money?

D

Yes, my name really is Dymphna.

I'm not a doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or therapist.

I can find you an answer and I won't blow smoke up your ass.

St. Dymphna is the Patron for brain maladies.

I'm the Enforcer.

eqnmrt.jpg

In these epistles there are certain things difficult to understand, which the unlearned and the unstable distort,
just as they do the rest of the Scriptures also, to their own destruction.

(II Peter 3:16)

#28 Jerod Poore

Jerod Poore

Administrator

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 02:01 PM

Nobody has looked at the test account?  No opinion on the upgrades for donors?

#29 Her

Her

Would-be Neurologist

• Enabler
  • 757 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:14 PM

Nobody has looked at the test account?  No opinion on the upgrades for donors?

I like the little purple pill, but "enabler" has unhappy connotations. Is there something else we can use?

#30 obsidian3

obsidian3

Would-be Neurologist

• Enabler
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:39 PM

Love the purple pill.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Keep Crazymeds on the air. Donate some spare electronic currency you have floating around The Cloud